Education is both an individual resource and a life-long process for the acquisition and development of – among other things – mental, personal and social competence. The Tyrolean Regional Government takes its mandate in the field of educational policy very seriously and makes available an annual education budget of about 300 million euros.
The Department of Education (in German) has the following administrative functions:
- Administration of kindergartens, crèches and nurseries
- Legal responsibility for about 7,300 teachers employed by the regional authority and about 2,300 retired teachers
- Organisational measures relating to primary and secondary schools, special needs schools, polytechnic schools and vocational training schools
- Administration of two musical education facilities - and Landeskonservatorium - with about 700 teachers
- Matters relating to the universities, including private universities and universities of applied sciences, and the Tyrolean Science Fund (Tiroler Wissenschaftsfonds)
Financial support in the field of education
The Tyrolean Regional Government provides financial support for employees wishing to take advantage of training and continuous education programmes with a wide range of specific packages based on grants, subsidies, loans and scholarships. Programmes for apprentices have also been developed as a separate focus of support.
Families receive an annual benefit for every child attending school and aged between six and fifteen.
Schoolchildren, students and academics can apply for scholarships for various education and training programmes.
Youth facility employees are eligible for financial support from a dedicated Youth Education Fund for educational programmes, seminars and courses.
The Tyrol has two educational facilities - Grillhof and Medienzentrum (in German) - for employees of the regional and local authorities. The Grillhof also serves as a venue for international conferences and seminars. The Medienzentrum (Media Centre) provides the whole educational sector in the Tyrol with modern media and equipment and offers support for projects and competitions.
The Health Education Centre - GesundheitsPädagogisches Zentrum (in German) - run by the regional authority provides training and continuous education in the field of health and welfare.
Click here for further information on the subject of education, support programmes and the relevant departments at the Office of the Tyrolean Regional Government (in German).